Heathen Kids

For some time know I have tried to build a lasting Heathen community. Although I have met a lot of wonderful people and for a while we had a strong group of folks, it just did not last. That seems to be the nature of Heathenry in a modern world where Christianity is the norm. By nature, Heathenry is tribal. In the days of the Ancestors the tribe stuck together out of necessity and loyalty. Today, we are scattered across the lands and often are forced to leave our tribe to seek work and prosperity elsewhere in the world. What remains is the family. In some cases, fractured families.

I have been raising two children as heathens for nearly 21 years. My son will be 21 in a few weeks and my daughter is 9. Although both of them have been raised since birth as Heathens, they still have trepidations and fear about the ritual and practice. It’s a little like watch a flashback form life. My son is a lot like me when I was his age ad he is caught between Heathenry and Mr. Cool so he’s not sure how to act and my daughter is like my son when he was 9. She is a bit scared of the ritual aspect, despite having been a part of it for nine years!

There is no manual for teaching your children about Heathenry. Yes, there are books for kids and adults that try to guide you through it, but nothing substantial. I have found that the best way to teach them is involve hem in the Heathen rituals and celebrations as equally as your can. On top of that think about the way you learned and try and guide them in the same ways. Myself, I bought a book about the Runes and went from there. Th hardest part is teaching your own children! Often, they seem disinterested, distracted, or just not to care. They are your kids and they are listening. If you have the opportunity and resources, it always helps to phone a Heathen friend.

Why is it important to raise your kids Heathen? If you are a Heathen, you want to be sur that your beliefs carry in after you are gone! Our Heathen kids are the next generation of Heathens. If we want our ways to carry forth, we need to train or children and teach them about Heathenry. For our gods and our Heathen ways to live on we must raise the next generation and teach our children so they can teach theirs’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief History of Asatru in the United States: Part 3 My Return

Eyvind Kinnrifi : A Day of Remembrance

The Swastika or Fylfot: Its use in Heathenry