Unverified Personal Gnosis (UPG)

Unverifiable Personal Gnosis is dismissed by some Heathens because it cannot be verified by some written source. UPG is when an individual gains an understanding of a god, spirit, myth, or ritual by means of intuition or the experience of communication with a non-human entity. Therefore, it cannot be verified by the sources, it is a personal experience. I can see why some would doubt this knowledge and reject it a s a BS. However, take the source. Is the person who has had his experience trustworthy, honorable, truthful, and wise? Do you trust them?

The Lore

Be afraid, be very afraid! The reconstruction of ancient Heathenry has put a lot of emphasis on The Lore. Making his the be all end all of knowledge. First, the lore is important in understanding and recreating the spiritual and religious practices of the ancient Heathens. However, it was transcribed by Christian monks and has been interpreted by a lot of people with different ideas. Pick up a few copies of Hávamál, go the same stanza in each and you are going to find different interpretations. The meaning might be somewhat the same, but the words are different. Basically, from the first transcription to the latest, each other instilled their own person bias into it. They used their personal understanding and knowledge to transcribe, interpret, and translate. This is one of the first things I learned when getting my history degree, the author, often unintentionally, puts his own feelings and opinions in all he does. Isn’t that just UPG?

While I have hundreds of books on the subject, I do not put all my eggs in one lore basket. I do believe that personal experience is beneficial to the individual, the family, or the tribe. I believe that the rejection of UPG by some is simple holder over anger from Christianity. Christians often say they talked to God or Got talked to the or they had some sort of religious experience. As heathens we tend to pish posh these experiences and say, “silly Christians.”. This rejection of all thing Christian is our Heathen bias.

Individual UPG

Many Heathens are solitary just because of geography. I am pretty solitary these days where once we had a great tribe, but I moved to the middle of nowhere… anyway. UPG is somewhat of an individual experience. One might seek out UPG through meditation and trance or it might just find them. How an individual has a religious experience is sometimes by chance. I was sitting in a bar and Woden sat down beside me and ordered a drink… No matter how, one has a UPG experience, in many ways it is personal. I have read a few places that as a Heathen you should be respectful and not talk about such things, but I’m not so sure. You should be able to discus you experience with fellow heathens with out fear, analyze it and make an assumption based on your feelings and the opinions of your peers. It is your experience, and you can choose o shar, accept or reject. You can make it a part of your personal beliefs or not.

Tribal UPG

Some believe that a tribe or group can had UPG together. This would be, I assume, at some celebration, blót, etc., where the group all experience the presences of a spiritual being. Let’s say that during blót some sort of euphoria or other unexplained phenomenon occurs and many if not all of the tribe has the same or very similar experience. This experience changes or enhances a tribal practice. Doesn’t this UPG then become part of the tribal beliefs and practice? I would say it sure would. However, that does not mean that it becomes part of the universal big picture. It is purely tribal and localized. Historically we know that religious practice was localized and varied by community. The practice of one village was not the same as another, however they might be similar. These subtle difference are created by UPG.

UPG and the Big Picture

In the old days of Christianity, the priest was the one who talked to God and God talked to him. If you the pleb wanted to get a message to God, you would go to the priest and pray with him. The priest was the conduit to God. Over time this idea changed with Henry VIII, Martin Luther, and so on. The King became the spiritual leader and eventually this privilege was passed down to the people. In ancient Heathenry there is some evidence of spiritual leaders that were a mor direct route to the gods, and there is evidence that the people could do the same. In modern Heathenry we all tend to believe that any one of us can communicate with the gods and supernatural beings with out help form some spiritual conduit figure. Personally, that is the way it should be.

UPG in the greater Heathen community seems to be taboo and mostly rejected. I did a search on the subject and a lot of Heathens seem to publicly reject the UPG concept. It seems that somehow UPG is blasphemy in the greater Heathen universe. “Who are you to question The LORE!” Anyway, because I believe Heathenry is tribal I believe that on the world stage UPG will be rejected. One reason, no one wants to go on the record saying this is how it is because of my personal experience. I have seen a lot of Heathen authors and YouTubers shown the door because they offered a personal opinion based on UPG. Anther reason, we have become scholars. Over my almost 40 years as a Heathen, I have seen a ship to scholarly Heathenry that places all most all emphasis on lore, sagas, and texts. We have become purely academics. Again, nothing wrong with learning and history, but there has to be balance. Myself, I spend more time in practice than in books. As Heathenry stands today UPG will never be accepted on our Heathen universe, it will remain individual and tribal.

My UPG

I have had UPG experiences and in many cases I accept them, in some I do not. I have been able to enter a trance state and travel out of body to communicate with the gods. I have had conversations in pubs with both Woden and Thor. I can feel the spirits in trees and on sacred grounds. Physical feelings that are like vibrations or small electric shocks. I have received signs and gifts from the gods when I have asked for things through prayer and offerings. Throughout the years these things have influenced how I practice and, in the case, when I was Dryhten of my tribe it influenced all of us because I was trusted as a leader.

I do not dictate my UPG to others. I might discuss it and debate it, but I have never told anyone this is how it should be (because I said so). My UPG is mine and if I am a tribal leader and the tribe decides that my UPG is valid they can chose to accept it or reject it. That’s what makes UPG ok.

As Heathens we need to accept the fact that everyone is going to have a unique experience and somewhat different interpretation. We do not have an official bible, prayer boor, or any of that. What we have is a bunch of individuals, organizations, tribes, and individuals with unique perspectives.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief History of Asatru in the United States: Part 3 My Return

Eyvind Kinnrifi : A Day of Remembrance

The Swastika or Fylfot: Its use in Heathenry